What unknown technological invention will have a huge impact on the future? A compilation of Reddit answers.
On Reddit, it was asked, what’s a relatively unknown technological invention that will have a huge impact on the future? As expected, there were countless great examples, so I compiled them below and tried to organize them by topic.
Biotechnology and medicine
- Microgel will be used to repair spines
- Research into bacteriophages could cure antibiotic resistant bacteria such as MRSA.
- Gene therapy will wildly proliferate.
- Wireless ECG machines will be more widely used.
- Implants are being developed which can grow with kids. Importantly, children with faulty heart valves or damaged organs which require a synthetic element can undergo just one surgery.
- Bio chips are now a reality of sorts. Means we can test various drugs and treatments on your genetics without doing it on you.
- Printed human skin and organs.
- AI/ML algorithms for medical imaging
Energy, material, and minerals
- Carbon grids will eventually reproduce the catalytic effects of Rhodium metal, commonly used in catalytic converters. “Rhodium metal is currently trading at $13,000/oz after a huge spike due to worldwide emissions restrictions that took effect in 2020.”
- Old landfills will be mined by bots to extract useful elements.
- Lithium sulfur batteries are being developed to replace lithium ion batteries, but are difficult to produce.
- Low-pressure solar-powered drip irrigation systems.
- Transparent solar panels could replace window glass.
- Biologically-derived electrodes/batteries
- Advanced nanocomposite materials for magnetic devices
- Carbon nanotube technologies.
- Photocatalytic paint will break down air pollutants into harmless compounds.
Robotics and transportation
- Hypersonic missiles.
- SABRE engines are hypersonic precooled hybrid air-breathing rocket engines, designed to achieve single-stage-to-orbit capability.
- Agricultural robotics (pickers, sorters, computer visions for identification (phenotypes for example), etc.)
- Brain-to-computer interfaces
- Widely deployed sensors
- Autonomous drone-swarm technologies (applies to manufacturing, emergency rescue, mapping, etc.)
- Emotion and identification recognition through voice, gait, etc. using AI/ML algorithms